One Year: May through July




To celebrate my first year in Peru, I am looking back at the past year. I am recalling the complicated journey that brought me here and seeing how things have changed over the last twelve months. 


May

The month of May started with the kickoff of Peru´s new Tourism brand: Marca Perú. The first push of this campaign was the release of this video that brings a small taste of Peru the country to the small town of Peru, Nebraska, USA.

I started to assert that I am indeed not a tourist in Lima and can not be fooled by tourist prices. After my eternal summer: a full summer in the States, an usually warm Fall and then hopping into the southern hemisphere for their summer, finally winter arrived in Lima. I found relief from the heat and humidty but most importantly, was able to wear my long neglected winter wardrobe. I learned new slang words and discovered that children will make fun of my accent when speaking Spanish.

The most excited thing that happened this month: Alvaro and I went to Nashville!!

Alvaro's trip was educational: he received a
Civil War lesson from my dad...

and a lesson in donut fillings from my mom.


June

The first week of June, Alvaro and I were in the States enjoying sunshine, familiar food and time with my parents. The day before we came back to Peru, I had a complete meltdown in my parents´ living room. Since getting my new job, I was working close to 80 hour weeks between school and the institute, I couldn´t bear the thought of returning to such a schedule. Before I boarded the plane, my parents made me promise one thing: I would quit my institute job immediately upon returning to Peru. I did just that and the next day I made this countdown.

July

We started with an endless search for a frisbee. Such a simple piece of plastic and yet it's nowhere to be found in Lima. Thankfully, Alvaro's godmother who lives in New York was kind enough to bring us a frisbee when she visited at the end of the month. I played soccer with the boys in my class and started earning respect. I also showed them that girls, indeed can play soccer. I also took a Lima bus for the first time and it wasn't as bad as I thought! A very, very important cultural step.

And then, the great moment: My last day at the language institute. Though I only taught there for four months, but had been involved in the process for a full year. It felt like I was finally able to put that phase behind me and move on towards a better experience in Lima.