Delivery, Veggies, Mayo & Doormen



 Admittedly, I have spent the better part of the last six weeks being overly critical of my new home. As I have waited and waited and waited for news regarding my visa, I have only become more frustrated by the inefficient, mysterious systems of Peru. I am learning that in some parts of the world a stern voice and generous tip can create an array of satisfactory results.

There are plenty of systems and customs in Peru that are completely illogical to my American mind. Why does a city of 9 million people have only one post office? When purchasing items from the pharmacy, why most you bring a slip to the cashier, pay and then take your receipt to the pharmacy to obtain your item? Why is the public transportation so chaotic? Why are law students required to intern some forty, fifty, sixty hours per week?

My list of questions could go on. I do realize that the very things that frustrate me now are the things that will make up my most vivid memories once leaving Peru- like the inconvenient, über efficiency of German office hours.

I am convinced, however, that in some things Peru has gotten it right. These are the things I love:

  1. 24 hour Pharmacy delivery. Best. Idea. Ever. The idea is simple, call the pharmacy, request a few items, order more than S./ 35 and in thirty minutes the delivery man arrives at your door with contact solution, a receipt and your change, placed in a plastic bag and stapled to your receipt. Amazing.

  2. Fresh vegetables that are incredibly inexpensive. Last week I went to the grocery store to purchase vegetables for a sandwich: lettuce, avocado, tomatoes and bread. All for just about $2.

  3. Mayonnaise. Peruvian mayo comes in a plastic pouch that stands upright. Instead of a wide opening like American mayo jars, there is a small, squeeze top opening. No extra utensils required!

  4. And doormen. I love this type of city living that allows me to come home to a “Buenas tardes, Señorita,” every afternoon. My building has three doormen that rotates on what I believe are twelve hour shifts. They open doors for me, press my floor in the elevator when my hands are full and hand deliver all of my mail.